Saturday 22 February 2014

My DIY Palette

Hey Readers,
At the end of last year I joined a gift exchange for Christmas and was lucky enough to be paired with a lady that lives in the united states of america!! The base of this exchange was to stalk your partner via Instagram using their photos to see what their likes and loves are. So you can see that my Santa quickly observed I love makeup and planned my gift accordingly!!! 

The main part of the gift ended up being a train case of makeup from Ulta. I was so excited. Inside I had eye shadows, eye shadow bases, cream eye liners, eyebrow powder, blush, bronzer, pencil eyeliners, lipstck and lipgloss. I could not wait to try but I travel a lot and I fast came to the conclusion that I had to down size this case to get the most use out of it!! I googled and youtube'd only to find out that buying an empty magnetic palette was going to become quite expensive and it wasn't the palettes themselves it was the shipping that was going to hurt!!! But what I also found a lot of DIY videos and worked out that this would be the cheaper option!!! So after more research I found myself some magnets, a pencil tin, double sided tape and a pair of scissors....

This is what I started with....Three levels of amazingness!!!









But first to undo all this fanciness...When it came to depotting I had it easy as all of the products were lightly glued into plastic holders so all I had to do was push them up and pull off gently. 



It wasn't without casualty though the shadows being soft I did mark a few with my fingernails and a couple did crack slightly but I did not loose any beyond useable!! And I soon was attaching magnets to the backs.

Originally I was going to use a water paint set case as the base for this lined with magnetic paper but Officeworks only have their magnetic paper in their online store and as I wanted to start straight away I came up with the idea of using individual magnets and the metal pencil tin. Individual magnets are $5.10 for a 50 pack. The tin itself I have had floating around since uni but I did find cheap kent sets which you could use as a base for about $4 in a news agency during the back to school specials!! Attaching the magnets and cutting them to size was very easy the magnets themselves do have adhesive tape attached so the double sided tape was a back up plan or to add strength if needed. As you can see from the pic one magnet covered two shadows and cut down fitted perfectly. 





My pencil tin is one that has an insert that fits in the top with space for extras underneath so I had a bit of space to work with and I really liked the thought that I would have everything together and not multiple palettes however in the end not all the products fit but I like the fact that I can change the shadows around and now that Iv'e done one I feel that I could do another. 







In the lid I put the cream shadow bases. The eyeshadows take up the tins insert and underneath I put the blushes, bronzers and eye brow powders.


So there you have it my new three levels of amazingness I am so happy with how this turned out and I cannot wait to give a try and use when I travel. And roughly it cost me about $10!!! So until my next DIY project Happy Reading and Happy Shopping!!!!

Ever. 

1 comment:

  1. That's a very smart idea well done ever
    I love your name nvr heard it b4
    I'm Varinder dropping by to say hello from makeupmeandyoyo.blogpost.com.au

    ReplyDelete